It is strongly recommended that you print this page for future reference please read this page completely before actually submitting any pets needing a foster home. We retain the right to decline any request if requirements are not adhered to except in rare situations.
Homeless veterans needing pet foster home assistance and are receiving a “hand up” via a VA or VA approved “Homeless Veteran Transition Program” where we work with the assigned case/social worker to ensure that when the veteran has appropriate housing where he/she can have their pets, the pets are reunited with their owner.
- Foster term variable depending on services provided which can be between 2– 9 months
Each pet being submitted for assistance via the fostering program must be:
- Altered (spay or neutered) and cannot have major aggressive issues. See our “Altered Pet” policy HERE for further details
- Must be current on all required vaccinations including Bordetella
- Recommend pet be Micro-chipped though not required
- If Canine, then Heartworm test results must be negative
- If Feline, then Feline Leukemia test results must be negative
The following is required by the legal pet owner (Please read and follow as required):
Step 1. Assigned Case Worker or Primary Care Manager – completes and submits the following form to our National Office.
Step 2. Submit appropriate pet submission on a per pet basis (one submission per pet being submitted)
Step 3. Copy of each submitted pet’s current veterinarian records which provides: (1) vaccinations are current including Rabies Certificate, (2) pet is altered, (3) has been tested for Heartworm (canines) or Feline Leukemia (felines) in last 6 months with negative results, (4) pet is Micro-chipped. Please note though we do not require a pet entering our program to be Micro-chipped, we do recommend as an additional safety precaution that such is done. The veterinarian’s office may send requested records to our national office directly with your permission.
Note: Item 3 to be faxed to our National office via Fax # 877-788-8048 (or may be emailed to email@example.com as an attachment) as soon as possible so the assigned coordinator can begin to assist you.
In addition the legal military/veteran pet owner or their authorized representative is responsible for the following:
1. Respond to phone calls or emails from the assigned Coordination Liaison as quickly as possible. In delay to do so may impact how quickly we can assist. If you have not received a reply to calls or emails to the Coordination Liaison after a 48 hour time period, please contact our National office via email, firstname.lastname@example.org
Email Subject Line: (State) – (MSM Last Name) – (Pet Name)
Example: IL – Jones – Pet Rover
2. Participate in a “Meet & Greet” with the potential foster home between you, your pet, the family, and their pets to determine if this is a good fit for your pet and they are comfortable caring for your pet or pets.
3. If both parties are comfortable then you and the chosen foster home are required to prepare and sign the Fostering Written Agreement (FWA). The “FWA” will be provided as an attachment to the “Meet & Greet” email to both legal military pet owner and the chosen Foster Home. Be sure to read the whole agreement and any questions should be directed to the assigned Foster Coordination Liaison (FCL).
Note: The “FWA” is a binding document for all parties involved so where information is to be entered, please do so. Each party needs to retain a copy of the prepared/signed document.
4. The Foster Home caregiver is to fax a copy of the prepared/signed document to our National office (Fax 877-788-8048) within 5 days after the pet or pets are placed in such home.
Failure to prepare and sign the FWA will be recognized as between you and the foster home only and outside of the Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet area of responsibility or ability to assist with any issues that may arise during foster term. For your protection and that of your pet a FWA is required to be prepared and signed by both parties.
Copyright© 2005-2018 Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet© – All rights reserved
Content within this site is the sole property of Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet and
may not be copied without written permission from our organization –
Contact our Webmaster – Email: email@example.com
Updated: 3 February 2018